The way I see it, the word “Happy” is strategically placed in front of most named holidays during the year (forgive me for stating the obvious). Think about it…Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Holidays, Happy Birthday…Happy Nurses Week…I could go on forever. Were any of these holidays actually declared with the intention of making you feel un-happy? Of course not! It doesn’t get much better than when you bring the four “F”s together: (1 & 2) Friends and Family (leaving out the potential stress factor that is), (3) Fun (whoever said charades is boring needs wake-up call) and (4) Food (probably my favorite part about the holidays—with a cherry on top). Now—to throw a curve ball at my little acronym—make your holidays even “happier,” by making it healthy!
Below are just a handful of healthy tips for a Happier Thanksgiving…and don’t hesitate to leave a comment and let us know what type of healthy tips you practice during the holidays!
1) Eat a good, hearty breakfast. By skipping breakfast, you are more likely to indulge later and overeat…your body is hungry! Oh, and the whole idea that by skipping a meal you can make it up with an extra scoop of ice cream on your homemade apple pie with that mmm so good brown sugar crumble on top is not an ideal direction to take…although it does taste good.
2) Have company at dinner. By having company at dinner, you are more likely to eat slower. Among the chitter-chatter and family banter, you will be eating slower, taking smaller bites, and soon enough you will realize you’re full!
3) Serve yourself what you will eat. Don’t fill your plate up like a kid on Halloween when they get to the house with the “Please Take 1” bowl. Really? Please take one? If you’re anything like me, there are times when you are full but there is still some food on your overfilled plate. In some fantasy land out there that shouldn’t be a problem…but in real life—it is! How often do you find yourself picking at the rest of your plate…I mean, it’s in front of you, so why not? By filling up your plate with what you can and will eat, you can try to avoid this type of situation.
4) Drink water. We’ve all heard it before. This Thanksgiving let’s put it into practice.
5) Exercise at some point before THE MEAL. Not only will exercise make you feel less guilty about the gravy you just poured all over your place (yes it tastes good on everything I swear), but it will also boost your mood J.
6) Take a walk after THE MEAL. If the turkey hasn’t already put you to sleep, take a little walk after you eat.
7) Wear UA Thanksgiving Scrubs. Okay, this one may be a little unconventional, but you sure will get some good laughs and smiles from people who see you sporting your festive Thanksgiving scrubs around the house or while cooking! Plus, they are easy to clean so you can avoid a fashion disaster on your cleverly picked out Thanksgiving outfit. Is it just me or while aprons are meant to keep your outfit clean, do you often find that some red sauce or chocolate (why they both spread like wildfire boggles my mind) magically made its way directly thru the apron onto your clothes.
Happy, Healthy Thanksgiving!
We are proud to say that over the past few weeks we have been implementing greener practices around our Uniform Advantage offices in South Florida! We rolled out our “Advantage Earth” program which focuses on (note: catchy slogan) “‘Scrub’-bing Away Waste, One Day at a Time.” With Advantage Earth, we hope to not only make a difference in our own offices but also to encourage others to implement similar practices.
Advantage Earth has so far been a dual phase program, but we plan to continue adding green practices over time. Here is what we have accomplished so far:
Phase 1: The Break Room
We strategically placed two large commingled recycling bins right next to our trash bins in our break room, making the option to recycle more convenient.
Phase 2 (part 1): The Desks
First, the medium-sized trash bins at each desk were converted into commingled recycling bins. “Commingled Recyclables” stickers were made for each bin that outline what can and cannot be recycled.
Now, you may be thinking, “What about those items considered trash?” Well, that’s where “Mini-Bins” come into play. We ordered Mini-Bins from a Midpoint International Inc for each desk. These Mini-Bins are 1.5L, which initially may not seem like enough, but when you think about how much can actually be recycled, it’s the perfect size!
Finally, we stopped ordering the Styrofoam cups that were being used for coffee. In place of these cups, everyone at the offices received a UA mug stamped with our “’Scrub’-bing Away Waste, One Day at a Time” slogan.
Phase 2 (part 2): Pizza party!
Because everyone was so compliant and excited about the Advantage Earth program, Uniform Advantage provided a Pizza Party for everyone on Friday the 13th… I guess it’s not such an un-lucky day after all J.
We’d love to give anyone and everyone more details on how we implemented Advantage Earth, so please leave us your feedback, questions and comments.
We are proud to officially introduce the full service Spanish language version of our UA website. Customers can access the first such site among medical scrubs e-tailers directly at espanol.uniformadvantage.com or by visiting the English site at uniformadvantage.com and clicking the “Español” link at the top right corner of the page.
The new Spanish website offers all of the English-version features including the easy to navigate shopping system, gift cards, coupons and personalized services to the thousands of Spanish-speaking shoppers who visit its Web site every day. Hispanic customers can now browse, search, shop, buy and go through the entire check out process in their own language anywhere, any time.
Designed with user-friendly features, the new Spanish site provides consumers with high resolution images of every product and information such as price and available colors and sizes. Hispanic shoppers can also filter products by department, style, brand, color, and size, and then sort by price, collection, and whether the items are on sale.
In addition, consumers will find a number of reliable tools including sizing information, embroidery options and a location finder which provides the nearest Uniform Advantage retail store and a number of consumer support services. Visitors can also toggle back and forth between the English and Spanish versions by clicking the language links at the top of every page.
¡Encuentre en Uniform Advantage los uniformes médicos, la ropa clínica y el calzado de enfermería de las marcas que usted prefiere y a los precios más bajos!