A Laughing Matter…
This Sunday is April Fool’s Day, so get your pranks ready! There’s some debate as to the origin of this “holiday”, but many believe that it started in France in 1582 when the country adopted the Gregorian Calendar. Under this new system, New Year’s Day changed from the end of March to January 1st. Some people out of jest and stubborness, continued to celebrate the New Year on April 1st. These people quickly became victims of pranks and jokes, as the majority of society thought their actions were foolish.
In modern society, elaborate advertising hoaxes for major brands are commonplace, as are pranks pulled by media outlets. Here are few of our favorite pranks from recent years, tell us some funny ones you’ve pulled on your friends, family, or co-workers!
- In 2010, Google announced it had released an android app called “Google Translate for Animals”. Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I24bSteJpw&feature=player_embedded
- In 2009, Internet travel company Expedia offered flights to Mars. The site, which featured an ad for the flights, includes details on hotels and activities on Mars as well as explanation about life and weather on Mars. You can even choose your spaceship.
- In 2009, The Guardian newspaper in England announced that it would be the first newspaper in the world to be published exclusively via Twitter. Their reasoning? To “consolidate their position at the cutting edge of new media technology”
- In 2011, Irish airline Ryanair, annouced that they would offer “child-free flights” beginning in October. The Head of Communications, Stephen McNamara, released this statement, “When it comes to children we all love our own but would clearly prefer to avoid other people’s little monsters when travelling. While half our passengers would like us to divide our cabins up into ‘adult’ and ‘family’ areas it is not operationally possible due to our free seating policy, with optional priority boarding”
- In 2011, Kodak added the feature of “Relationshifffft”, where you can remove your exes from your photos.
I will be doing this prank next-thank you for the great idea!!! I’m very close with the Doctor I work for, we joke around alot and are close friends, even though there’s a 15yr age difference. Three weeks ago, I bubble-wrapped his chair, and before that, I “post-it” noted his lab-completely. This actually looks quite nice-I can cover up all the crap on his desk!
SO HERE WAS MY APRIL FOOLS JOKE ON MY HUSBAND THE OTHER DAY APRIL 1ST! WHEN HE WAS JUST WAKING UP , I SAID HEY I FOUND A LARGE MOREL MUSHROOM BY OUR MAILBOX! COME CHECK IT OUT IT IS REALLY BIG!!!! HE GOT UP IN A HURRY DUE TO WE LOVE TO PICK MOREL MUSHROOMS EVERY YEAR! THEN I SAID APRIL FOOL! HE WAS ALITTLE DISAPPOINTED AS WE TRIED TO FIND SOME THE OTHER DAY! I TOLD HIM HANG IN THERE WE WILL FIND SOME SOON!