Happy? Friday the 13th!
If you didn’t already realize, today is Friday the 13th, a day which is commonly known to be “unlucky”. But why are people so afraid of this day, which can occur up to three times a year? In fact, businesses report that approximately $800-$900 million in national revenue is lost each Friday the 13th because people will not shop, travel, dine out, or go to work. Here are some more fun facts about this day of triskaidekaphobic (the fear of the #13) superstition:
- Many hospitals and hotels don’t have a room or floor #13
- More than 80% of high rises don’t have a floor #13
- Many airports skip the 13th gate and airplanes the 13th aisle
- Apollo 13 launched at 13:13 CST and the oxygen tank exploded on April 13, 1970
- In the Christian Bible, there were 13 people present at the Last Supper, the 13th guest being the one who betrayed Jesus Christ, who died on Friday the 13th
- The US Navy will not launch a ship on any Friday the 13th