As a Nursing Assistant, you are often expected to do whatever comes your way in a timely and effective fashion. From cleaning up after your patients to making them feel at ease, your wide range of skills helps carry you through a job that demands the utmost in people and medical skills. In times where you are the first person to offer help to a patient in need, your improvisation skills quickly remedy any situation that comes your way. Whether a resident or nurse asks for your help, you know the value of preparedness and tackling your day with clear objectives. With this in mind, here are some tips to make your day run smoothly:
1) Have a game plan. Although it seems like a burden with your excessively long weeks that often mean working overtime, arriving 15 minutes early to work to plan your day helps you take charge of your responsibilities. These minutes of alone time will provide you the opportunity you need to get ahead and be informed of your duties.
2) Keep a basic work kit handy. If you have pockets or a waist pouch handy, be sure to keep the essentials (such as a pen, permanent marker, tape measure, and extra gloves) on hand in case you need to act quickly.
3) Let the RN know of your progress and if anything out of the ordinary arises. Your superior will appreciate your initiative and genuine care for your patients and profession, making you stand out from your peers.
4) Be cautious when lifting heavy objects and patients. The physical component of your job can be just as demanding as keeping track of your patients’ progress. Remember to use proper body mechanics and lift using your legs, not your back!
5) Smile! Keeping a smile on your face even in moments of pressure and distress is shown to reduce stress and boost your mood into a more positive one – seriously! Psychological research backs this phenomenon up. Your smile will help carry you through the day and uplift your patients in the process!
Happy Nursing Assistants Week….We appreciate you!
Treat yourself to your favorite brands with our Hot Summer Sale at prices up to 50% off!