1) In the Gregorian Calendar, August is the eighth month of the year. Prior to this calendar in the Roman Calendar, the month of August was originally named Sextilis in Latin being the sixth month. August got its name in honor of Augustus Caesar in 8 BC.
2) August is such a fun month and being the last month of Summer, why not celebrate all the way! Check out some of the themes celebrated:
- National Girlfriends Day – August 1st
- Respect for Parents Day – August 1st
- National Kids Day – August 2nd
- National Sisters Day – August 2nd
- National Watermelon Day – August 3rd
- National Chocolate Chip Day – August 4th
- National Book Lovers Day – August 9th
- National S’mores Day – August 10th
- National Lemon Meringue Pie Day – August 15th
- National Rum Day – August 16th
- National Tell A Joke Day – August 16th
- National Dog Day – August 26th
- National Just Because Day – August 27th
3) All August Birthdays birthstone is Peridot or Onyx.
4) Summer is ending and the Fall Season approaches! Who is looking forward to the Fall Season?? Uniform Advantage’s Fall 2015 catalog is here ready to show you the latest styles and gorgeous Fall colors in all of the medical scrubs brands you love! Check it out!
5) Popular vegetables and fruits in August according to wisebread.com are:
- Green Beans
Do you love listening to podcasts and watching YouTube videos? Are you obsessed with your profession and eager to stay up to date with the latest information in the healthcare industry? Well here at Uniform Advantage we recognize that a lot of nurses are too busy and exhausted at the end of the day to read the latest journals and studies. We’ve compiled a list of resources for you to enjoy and get your learn on! We only picked podcasts and YouTube channels that are currently updated regularly to make sure you’re getting the best most relevant content!
John Hopkins Medicine Podcast (http://podcasts.hopkinsmedicine.org/): This podcast is a great way to stay updated on the latest medical advances, studies and news. New episodes almost every day.
Latest Episode: “Liraglutide” Can this diabetes drug be used to help people with weight loss?
Brain Science Podcast (http://brainsciencepodcast.com/): This podcast explores recent discoveries in neuroscience and how our brains make us who we are. New episodes monthly.
Latest Episode: “More on CI Therapy with Ed Taub” An interview with Dr. Ed Taub who is revolutionizing rehab for stroke and central nervous system injuries by harnessing brain plasticity.
Journal of American Medical Association Editor’s Audio Summary (http://jama.jamanetwork.com/issue.aspx): Weekly audio summaries of the most current JAMA issue.
Latest Episode: “Guideline stating eligibility and coronary risk, cost-effectiveness of coronary risk thresholds, patiromer for hyperkalemia”
My First Cadaver (http://www.myfirstcadaver.com/): This brand new podcast has in depth interesting conversations with real doctors about career “firsts”. New episodes weekly.
Latest Episode: “My First Patient Death” How do you respond to losing a patient as doctor? What does that say about you as a person?
The Nursing Show (http://www.nursingshow.com/): This highly acclaimed podcast has all sorts of great content specifically catered toward nurses including news, interviews, tips, medication information and commentary. New episodes weekly.
Latest Episode: “Safer Patient Ambulation with Nezzie and Episode 352” This episode explores how the healthcare system is not supporting the mental health of men with anxiety and depression disorders.
Simple Nursing (https://www.youtube.com/user/SimpleNursing): A huge variety of great information for nurse students to dominate nursing school
Most Popular Video: 15 Second EKG (THE 5 RULES TO INTERPRET ANY RHYTHM)
MedCram (https://www.youtube.com/user/MEDCRAMvideos): Free medical lectures, videos and illustrations explained clearly for all healthcare professionals covering symptoms, diagnosis and treatment on a huge number of topics
Most Popular Video: Acute Renal Failure Explained Clearly
Nurse Mendoza (https://www.youtube.com/user/NurseMendoza/): Videos documenting the life and times of an RN
Most Popular Video: How to Master ABG’s (Arterial Blood Gasses)
Nurse Nacole (https://www.youtube.com/user/NurseNacole): A certified RN with advice about nursing education and being a new nurse
Most Popular Video: Nurse Education | Easy Way to Remember Cranial Nerves
EmpoweRN (https://www.youtube.com/user/empowern/): Caroline has in depth tips for surviving nursing school and how to become a better nurse
Most Popular Video: New Nurse? How to Ace the NURSE INTERVIEW!!
What podcasts and YouTube channels do you subscribe to?
Let us know what kind of content is most important to you!