As National Breast Cancer Awareness Month comes to a close, so does our Making Strides Fundraiser. We want to thank all of you who participated in our efforts! Not only did we raise money for a cause we can all personally relate to, but we also fostered an even greater feeling of community as we all worked together toward this common goal. Our final amount raised was $2,695 thanks to the generosity of the employees at our retail stores, distribution center, and corporate office, as well as their friends and families. Uniform Advantage matched this donation for a grand total of $5,390 going to the American Cancer Society!
In addition to the fundraiser, we hosted a Facebook contest for our followers to submit their tips for breast cancer prevention (the participants received our unique UA pink bra t-shirts as a “thank you” for their input). We want to share with you some of the top responses we received:
- Ch-Check It Out: The most popular responses we saw stressed the importance of monthly self exams and yearly mammograms, which are both key to early detection. We all know how hectic the “day-to-day” can get, so find a reminder that works for you. There’s power in numbers…maybe schedule your next doctor’s visit with a girlfriend and treat yourselves to dinner afterwards or host a small pink party with a few of your female family members to ensure that no one forgets!
- All Together Now: You know the drill…eat right, don’t smoke, limit alcohol intake, protect yourself from the sun, and be physically active. There is a correlation between overall health and reduced risk of cancer, and an added bonus is the increased endorphins or “feel good hormones”!
- We Are Family: Learn the history of breast cancer in your family tree, not only will this help you understand your risk factors, but it can also be a great way for you and the other women in your family to strengthen your “support system” by being positive influences on each other.
- Just The Two Of Us: Several of our contributors referenced studies that show breastfeeding can prevent or lower the risk of breast cancer for some women. Good for baby and good for mom, win-win!
To mark the end of our “Pinktober” fundraising, we held PINK day at our corporate office—you can check out the pictures below. You don’t have to wait until next October to do your part for Breast Cancer awareness; the American Cancer Society has events all year round to encourage participation. From team walks to galas and golf, there is sure to be an event where you can have fun while you help raise awareness! How did your workplace celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness month?
The holiday season is right around the corner and before you know it the New Year will be here…so we are here to help you finish off the rest of 2011 in a runway-worthy fashion! Believe it or not, the trends seen on the catwalks at Fashion Week in New York and Milan are in our winter catalogs as well. Scoop up these fashion forward pieces, perfect your strut and you’re good to go!
WC693 Sweetheart Neckline Crochet Trim Top
UA422C Rolled Collar Button Front Top
Pleats and Frills
UA424C Ruffle Mandarin Collar Snap Front Top
EMPC72C Princess Seam Y-Neck Top with Embroidery
U194GWB Scallop Neck Top in Go Wild Black
Anywhere Women’s Zone Clog in Zebra
R1260FEP Rampage Feline Lace Trim Top
Anywhere Women’s Zone Clog in Leopard
Prints: Plaid and Polka
HE232PER Lauren Top in Pencil Plaid Raspberry/Pewter
UA28EBW Mock Wrap Top in Exotic Beauty White and U86PKB Button Front Warm Up Jacket in Polka Pop Black
Calling all nurses, doctors and other medical professionals! Santa is on call one night a year, but you work hard all year long in order to keep us healthy, so we want you to win an end-of-year treat for yourself! Uniform Advantage is holding a contest where the lucky winner gets a new iPad2… for FREE! Come to our website from November 1st, 2011 through November 28th, 2011, and you can enter for a chance to win. Entering is simple! Read on to find out how to enter and how to win the grand prize.
How to Enter
How to Win
- Voting lasts from November 29th- December 27th, 2011. During that time, get the word out to all of your friends, family, and co-workers to go to your voting page on our site and cast their vote for you! Note: only one vote will be permitted per person.
The Grand Prize will be a new Black 16GB iPad2, but even if you don’t win the iPad, you can still be a winner! All contestants who reach 1,000 votes or more will win a $50 Uniform Advantage Gift Card!
The Grand Prize Winner will be announced on December 28th, 2011.
For more information about the contest and for complete rules and regulations, please visit www.UniformAdvantage.com/Contest
Happy Halloween–we hope everyone is having a hauntingly fun day like we are! Our team got in the spooky sprit by noshing on a buffet of terror-filled treats and wandering the halls in our creative costumes. We all voted for our favorite, so check out the pictures below and we’ll let you know who was picked…
Drum roll please….the favorite costume this year picked by our staff was Tammy the Corpse Bride (3rd from the left in the top collage). Congrats Tammy! Everyone enjoy the remainder of this haunted holiday and stay safe!
Since our scrubs see their fair share of hospitals and doctor’s offices, we wanted to make sure you and your family stay safe on the upcoming Trick or Treat trail. Here is a list we compiled from several sources of basic ways to prevent accidents when energy and excitement levels get batty!
Visible Vampires: Trick or treating while it’s still light out is a safe bet for young kids. If this isn’t an option, here are some easy solutions to illuminate your clan:
- Glow sticks and jewelry (cheap and can make a costume stand out!)
- Strips of reflective tape on costumes or bags (found in sporting goods and hardware stores)
- Small flashlights can help navigate winding driveways and porches where pumpkin luminaries may not be enough
Stranger Danger: Make sure that those goblins under 12 are accompanied by an adult; those a little older should travel in a big group and have a way of contacting an adult if need be.
Treats Not Trips: When candy craze is in full swing it’s easy for kids to forget the rules they already know, so keep them on their feet by:
- Walking, not running from house to house
- Using crosswalks and sidewalks whenever possible
- Watching out for cars that may be backing up or turning neighborhood corners
- Making sure their costumes don’t drag to prevent falling or getting too close to lit candles
- Masks can make it hard for kids to see their surroundings, try face paint instead (make sure to test in a small area to make sure they’re not allergic and remove before bedtime to prevent skin or eye irritation)
Candy Caution: Check pumpkin pails for possible tampering or choking hazards before letting kids dig in–also make sure that any homemade treats are from a trusty source.
Haunted Huddle: As your ghoulish group is getting ready, repeat some key reminders before sugar levels spike and distractions are everywhere.
…and lastly, HAVE FUN! What safety tips do you and your family use to ward off the Halloween Hazards?
Happy Pinktober, everyone! As you may already know, we at UA took part in this year’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5K walk yesterday to help support those who have been affected by breast cancer and help promote awareness and prevention. Currently, our team has raised over $2,300 and we will continue to raise money throughout the month of October. At the end of the Month, UA will match all our donations…so we are hoping to reach our goal of at least $5,000!
Many of our friends and Facebook fans were able to attend the event, and some came to see us as we walked (and they scored a free UA pink bra t-shirt!). Thanks for saying hi!
**If you’d like a chance to win one of our great pink bra t-shirts, visit our Facebook fan page or come back to our blog this Wednesday for a Win-It-Wednesday contest!
Here are some pictures we took at the event:
To see more pictures from the walk, visit our fan page at http://www.facebook.com/UAScrubs.
Thank you everyone who came out and for showing your support!
In order to help us reach our goal of $5,000 even faster, please donate on our Team UA page found here: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/MakingStridesAgainstBreastCancer/MSABCFY12Florida?team_id=994693&pg=team&fr_id=35983.
Happy Howwwloween Month! At the end of this month children and parents will be knocking on neighborhood doors for some much antipated Halloween treats! So while the kiddies are counting down the days to pillowcases full of candy (and parents looking forward to sugar rushes and sticky fingers!), everyone else gets to celebrate all month long with festive decorations, bedazzled crochet sweaters and themed Halloween Print Tops!
We love this “Good Time Ghouls” Mock Wrap Scrub top because the combination of yellow, black and orange against a pretty purple background…all the perfect mixture for a wearable Halloween themed scrub top that won’t scare anyone away!
Another thing we can’t forget about the excitement of Halloween for us adults is Halloween themed parties! Every year at our office people will dress up–or get alllll decked out. The past two years we have had a potluck and contest for costumes. We have some creative people here at UA! Check out pictures of our Halloween office parties from years past…