It has been pretty awesome to see the overwhelming support from people around the US, celebrities and sports athletes joining the #IceBucketChallenge frenzy in the last month. UA’s employees expressed their desire to do the same and at 5pm EST tonight….Yup! It’s happening! We are taking the plunge at our Headquarters in Plantation, Florida and….We Challenge YOU, Our Customers! UA will donate $10 for every employee who is participating today as well as all loyal customers and followers who have joined us through Monday 25th August, 2014 up to $5,000 to the ALS association. Please post it online with #UniformAdvantageALS and you have until Monday August 25th, 2014 to take the challenge. We have created a fundraising page and would love your support! http://web.alsa.org/goto/uniformadvantage
Did you know that this disease only affects a small number of people, two per 100,000??
It is not in the forefront of people’s minds like Cancer, Heart Disease or Diabetes. It has been so fascinating to see how viral the participation has been! Everyone wants to have fun and raise money to help increase awareness, provide more resources and save lives. The ALS Association revealed in a press release that as of Thursday, August 21, they received $41.8 million in donations, compared to $2.1 million the same time period last year (July 29 to August 21). These donations have come from existing donors and 739,275 new donors to The Association. WOOOOOW! Who is ready to feel the pain of ice water???
What is ALS?
According to ALS’site, ALS is abbreviated for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, often referred to as “Lou Gehrig’s Disease.” It is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. It is not contagious, can affect anyone and the life expectancy of an ALS patient is about 2-5 years from the time of diagnosis. Early symptoms are muscle weakness or stiffness. Progression of weakness, wasting and paralysis of the muscles of the limbs and trunk as well as those that control vital functions such as speech, swallowing and later breathing generally follows.
The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge described by the ALS Association, “involves people getting doused with buckets of ice water on video, posting that video to social media, then nominating others to do the same, all in an effort to raise ALS awareness.” Those who refuse to take the challenge are asked to make a donation to the ALS charity of their choice. The commonly suggested donation is $100. Here’s a video that may help you see how it started: http://time.com/3136507/als-ice-bucket-challenge-started/
Please stand with your UA family and let’s fight ALS together!
Are you a fan of travel? Do you also enjoy your nursing profession? Well, a career in travel nursing is exactly as it sounds: you travel the country as a nurse! As a travel nurse, you aid healthcare facilities that have employee shortages. For example, if a hospital’s top RN in Chicago had to take maternity leave, you would fill her spot until she returns. Each term with the healthcare facility typically lasts around 13 weeks, according to Nurse Together. To search for a job opportunity in the country, travel nurses typically search online for hospitals that are short-staffed in any city of their choice. Recruiting agencies and travel nursing companies serve as the middle man in this scenario, assisting nurses with getting the job and settling down in their city by providing help with locating a home, providing utilities, and getting cable and internet.
In addition to the agencies helping you out along the way, there are plenty of other benefits to this unique nursing career. Most RNs who choose to be traveling nurses have a flexible living situation; they’re typically young, excited about the prospect of travel, and don’t have many obligations holding them down in their original home. This career is ideal for those who are looking to move to a new city! By trying out different locations across the country, you can truly get a feel for the place before you commit. According to a survey conducted by Onward Healthcare, one of the best parts of this career is the elevated, median $80,000 salary. A truly immersive experience, travel nursing allows RNs to create a broad network of professional contacts who can show them new techniques and methods.
Would you ever consider travel nursing as a career option? Let us know what you think!
The “glass ceiling,” a term used to describe women’s inability to advance in their career and receive equal pay as men solely because of their gender, has plagued working women for decades. Although we are now living in a society where we are seeing more and more professional, career women, a very large inequality gap still exists. In fact, women currently earn 77% of what a man does for the same job with the same qualifications — a relatively small increase from the 64% that women would earn in 1951 according to infoplease.com. To put it simply, a women earns 77 cents for the same job that a man would do for a dollar.
But what about in female-dominated professions, such as teaching and nursing? Do women who work in these professions still experience the salary and career-advancement inequality as other women in different industries do? The answer, alarmingly, is yes. The “glass escalator” describes this phenomenon perfectly: Men who work in female-dominated professions are more likely to advance faster and further in their career, as well as receive higher pay. Many women that work as hard or even harder than men continue to struggle to advance as some men “glide by” on this intangible glass escalator. According to Caren Goldberg, Ph.D., an assistant professor of management who has studied this phenomenon at American University’s Kogod School of Business, “Men that enter female-dominated professions tend to be promoted at faster rates than women in those professions.”
To put some reason behind these staggering facts, many higher-ups and managers feel less inclined to promote women on the basis of career interruptions, such as raising a family. In addition, typical managerial and boss stereotypes typically match the qualities of a stereotypical man, such as assertiveness, which perpetuates this cycle. This societal stereotype that works to the benefit of men continues to place a stigma upon most working women, even those who do not have a spouse or children.
What do you think of the glass escalator? Have you ever experienced job inequality in your workplace?
Nurses are known for being fully committed to their work. This usually translates to more time on the job and less time in the kitchen preparing healthy meals. In an effort to prevent nurses from falling into this pattern, we’ve come up with 5 easy to make, healthy meal ideas to help provide you with the nutrients and energy that you need to get through your demanding work day. Waking up just a little bit earlier or taking some time out of the night before to put together a healthy meal will improve your focus and mood – two benefits that make a huge difference in the day to day and long run.
Night-shift nurses: we haven’t forgotten about you! Although a typical breakfast time hasn’t been in your schedule for months now, these meal ideas are still perfect to help carry you through that challenging night shift.
Breakfast: You’ve heard the old saying plenty of times, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” Well, it couldn’t be any truer. According to WebMD, breakfast is linked to key health benefits, such as weight control, lower cholesterol levels, and improved performance in areas such as concentration and endurance.
- Start your day off on the right foot by adding some fruit to your breakfast. Blueberries have been dubbed as a “super food” by many scientists as a result of their high nutritional benefits and links to improved brain health, reduced body fat, and anti-aging properties because of the abundance of free radicals. A cup of blueberries is the perfect serving size to start off your day.
- This delicious fruit will pair nicely with ½ cup of oatmeal boiled in 1 cup of water. Hearty and filling, oatmeal provides you with the energy you need to carry you through the day until lunch.
- Drink 1 cup of orange juice in the morning. This tasty drink is loaded with potassium, dietary fiber, and Vitamin C!
Lunch: Lunch is a very important meal that will help carry you through the rest of the workday. Since your metabolism is highest during afternoon hours, be sure to have a well-balanced, nutritious lunch that focuses on good carbohydrates and protein.
- For a satisfying and filling choice try a whole-wheat tortilla roll with sliced turkey, sliced low-fat mozzarella cheese, red pepper strips, and a chilled lettuce leaf. Add a fruit salad for some extra sweetness!
- For all of the vegetarians out there, try a whole wheat pita stuffed with vegetarian refried beans, salsa, lettuce, and shredded cheddar cheese! Apple slices with peanut butter will give you an extra boost!
Snack: We’ve all done it: Your lunch didn’t really do the trick and now you’re starving at 3 PM with at least 2 more hours on the job. “That Snickers in the vending machine sure does sound good right now…” In spite of the blissful few minutes of flavor and happiness that you feel while eating the Snickers bar, you will inevitably regret this decision about 30 minutes later when the sugar crash hits you. Avoid the unnecessary, unhealthy calories with these snacks instead!
- For all you peanut butter lovers out there, this snack suggestion is perfect for you! A medium stalk of celery with 2 tablespoons of smooth peanut butter contains 195 calories rich in protein and fiber. Filling and tasty, this easy-to-prepare snack will give you a perfect guilt-free, delicious experience!
- Fiber One Bars are packed with 35% of your daily value of fiber! Treat yourself while staying healthy at the same time with Fiber One’s Oats and Chocolate Chewy Bar! It will satisfy your sweet tooth and prevent you from crashing during the day.
Click on this infographic for more information on healthy eating from ChooseMyPlate.gov!
Check out this infographic by MyPlate.gov for a representation of what a balanced meal would look like!
We would love to know: What meals do you eat to stay healthy and energized while on the job?
Who says that Spring Cleaning is just reserved for the Spring? This summer, revamp your wardrobe with bold prints, vibrant colors, and elegant cuts. Spice things up in your closet and bring some of these hot trends into your workplace! Who knows, maybe your bold style will inspire your coworkers to blossom into fashion-conscious medical professionals too! Either way, you’ll feel confident and comfortable in your new look.
With that said, your opinion matters to us, so update your wardrobe with some of our best rated scrub tops from customer reviews! We hope that sharing this positive feedback from other customers will provide you with an informed shopping experience with us!
- Grey’s Anatomy Scrubs Signature STRETCH Junior Fit Two Pocket Top: The popular Grey’s Anatomy collection by Barco has done it again with this favorite! Featuring two handy pockets that offer unique features, such as an ID loop, this top’s cinched waist will do your body justice. Side slits allow for a more flattering look in this top, which is available in 12 colors! Shae’s customer satisfaction with the material’s comfort definitely reflects this top’s 4-star rating!
Style # GA2121
- Butter-Soft Scrubs by UA™ Women’s Scallop Neck Top: Irresistibly soft, Butter-Soft Scrubs are a year round favorite. However, these flowery summer colors available for this stylish top make an instant favorite for summer! With an elegant v-scallop neckline, this practical top features 4 discretely placed pockets. This top received TONS of rave reviews with an average of 4.5 stars! Monique, from Ohio, said this of the Butter-Soft scrub top: “So in love with the color and style of this scrub top, it complements me well. Added bonus are the 4 pockets and reasonable price.”
Style # UAS194C
- Cherokee Flexibles Scrubs V-Neck Top: Offered in 20 brilliant color options, this top takes color-blocking to a whole new level. Flattering side panels made from a poly-spandex blend provide comfort, style, and flexibility! The V-neck line will also provide you with additional comfort and breathing room. With an average review of 4.5 stars, this top is definitely a must-have! Michaela from Alabama raves, “I love these uniforms! They are so slender using and by far my favorite!!:)”
Style # CK2874
- Grey’s Anatomy Scrubs Junior Fit Mock Wrap Tops: “Hands down the best fitting scrub top ever,” this 4.5 star Grey’s Anatomy top is sure to continue its reputation as a popular crowd-pleaser in the summer months. Comfort is a priority with this top, which features two front pockets with a hidden pen pocket, empire seam, and adjustable back tabs. Side slits make movement a breeze for those on-the-go moments. The tag-less inside kisses those itchy neck days goodbye!
Style # GA4153
- Butter-Soft Scrubs by UA™ V-Neck Scrub Top with Stretch Knit Panels: Naima, from Chicago, says this 4.5 star top is “Just awesome. the uniform looks exactly as it shows in the picture, very satisfied with this purchase. I recommended your site to all my friends.” The combination of comfort and style makes this v-neck scrub top a must-have in your scrub collection. It features soft, stretchy poly-spandex side panels and a “V” insert in contrasting color. Slimming side panels create a fitted look that gives you flexibility all day long. Two double-front pockets provide plenty of room to store your belongings. This fashion scrub top offers a flattering shape with side slits for a comfortable fit on the hips.
Style # ST868C
What are some of your UA favorites that you think should’ve made this all-star list?
Instagram is one of the most rapidly growing social networks. Since its inception in 2010, Instagram has taken the social media community by storm, captivating a quarter of all online web users. With over 200 million active monthly users, Instagram has become a great platform to share special moments with followers. This app is great for the users who find themselves constantly on the go, just like our customers.
Uniform Advantage is proud to announce that they too have decided to join the online frenzy and create its own Instagram account for loyal customers and other members of the UA community.
With this latest addition to UA’s social media platforms, UA aims to utilize this artistic avenue to interact with all of you and show you our culture at your convenience. Our page will offer a behind-the-scenes look into UA’s latest styles, exclusive offers, and photo shoots. We will always strive to keep Instagrammers up-to-date on specials and events tailored for you!
Side note: Our comfortable, sleek styles look even better with filters!
Here are some tips to make your experience and interaction with UA’s Instagram the best possible:
Share with us – Show us your favorite UA styles by snapping some selfies & sharing pictures of what inspires you, so it will inspire us! We want to know what you love, what questions you have, and what you are looking forward to!
Win with us – Enter in exclusive contests and giveaways that can only be found on Instagram. Be the most active on our profile and get the chance to be Fan of the Month and be in the running for some great prizes!
Get inside – Be the first to get sneak previews of upcoming product launches, special events, & behind-the-scene glimpses of photo shoots!
So go ahead, give us a follow on Instagram at “@uascrubs”! Join the conversation!
HAPPY NURSES WEEK to our Super Nurses!!
This week, it’s all about you and your great contributions made to your jobs, your employers and our healthcare system overall. Life is about creating new synergies and making the most of every opportunity, and that for you is every patient that comes into your care. The decisions you make, the 20 tasks you have to do simultaneously amongst several patients, the millions of hours you put in – there are really no limits on what your day will look like by the time you are done.
Every day and this week especially, we appreciate you, want to love on you, thank you, applaud you and celebrate you because we cannot do WITHOUT you. You touch everyone in your communities you work in. We appreciate your value in health and family planning clinics, schools, wellness programs in Corporations, doctor’s offices, home care, rehabilitation centers, nursing homes, STD units, AIDS Hospices, hospitals and let’s not forget our Travel Nurses! You are the muscle and backbone of our healthcare system.
Imagine we are celebrating over 5 million nurses who have gone beyond the call of duty!! What we love about you, is that despite working for an industry where the demand for nurses cannot keep up with the supply of healthcare services, you love what you do and give of yourselves selflessly.
We love our Nurses! They are the best customers a company can have! You guys are amazing, fun, sophisticated and passionate group of women and men. We created an Infographic, nursing postcards and muses in your honor.
Enjoy and have a fantastic week ahead!
We would love to hear from you. Let us know how you are being celebrated this week…