This Black Friday/Cyber Monday we are letting our Facebook fans determine the discount! The total number of “likes” we have by November 23rd at 3pm EST will translate into the percentage discount lasting from Black Friday through Cyber Monday. Get the word out to your co-workers, friends, family and you all will Gobble up the savings!
Today is World Diabetes Day, a day which was founded by the International Diabetes Foundation with the intent of raising worldwide awareness about the escalating rates of the disease. “Diabetes Education and Prevention” is the five-year theme for 2009-2013. A blue circle is the symbol for diabetes awareness, with blue representing the sky (and the color of the UN flag) and the circle conveying unification of the international community.
November 11 is the birthday of Frederick Banting, who was a leader in the discovery of insulin in 1922, a life-saving treatment for diabetes patients. The World Health Organization estimates that 346 million people worldwide have diabetes and this number is slated to more than double by 2030 without intervention.
Tips for Prevention: Use these tips from The Mayo Clinic to prevent or delay the onset of type II diabetes (which is the most common type):
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle: Regular physical activity helps you lose weight, lowers your blood sugar, and boots your sensitivity to insulin—which helps keep blood sugar in a healthy range
- Reach for whole grains and high fiber foods: These dietary choices help reduce your risk by regulating blood sugar levels
- Lose the extra weight: If you are overweight, diabetes prevention may be dependent on weight loss (overweight adults reduced their risk of the disease by 16% for every 2.2 lbs of weight lost!)
Share with us how you are doing your part either at work or in your personal life to increase diabetes awareness and prevention!
November 11 originated as a national holiday in tribute of Armistice Day (which was the end of World War I). It changed in 1954 after WWII and the Korean War to become Veterans Day, which now honors veterans of all of the U.S. wars.
We want to send a heartfelt “thank you” to all of our veterans, active military personnel, and their families for their service and dedication to our country. Below are ways we’ve found on several sites of how people demonstrate their support and appreciation for these heroes year round, not just on November 11.
- Join a program like Operation Gratitude or Soldiers’ Angels. These connect civilians to soldiers deployed overseas…you can greatly improve morale by committing to sending just one letter a week and one care package a month
- Frequent businesses that demonstrate support for our troops. Many restaurants and entertainment venues offer discounts to active military and veterans on Veterans Day, the 4th of July and Memorial Day, but if you dig a little deeper you’ll find others like Home Depot, Lowe’s, numerous travel providers, and cruise lines offer discounts year round!
- Support an organization that focuses on helping military families like www.OurMilitaryKids.org, where you can make financial donations or host your own creative fundraisers to benefit the kids of military personnel (also a good way to have fun while educating non-military children about how they can help!)
- Volunteer for your community branch of the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans. You can help out in several ways from fundraising or shelter donations to mentoring to help lead a veteran toward self-sufficiency.
- Give Thanks! It may be simple, but it has a profound effect if you take the extra minute to shake a hand and express gratitude and support for someone who sacrificed their life for our freedom!
In what ways do you support our veterans, active military, or their families throughout the year?
As National Breast Cancer Awareness Month comes to a close, so does our Making Strides Fundraiser. We want to thank all of you who participated in our efforts! Not only did we raise money for a cause we can all personally relate to, but we also fostered an even greater feeling of community as we all worked together toward this common goal. Our final amount raised was $2,695 thanks to the generosity of the employees at our retail stores, distribution center, and corporate office, as well as their friends and families. Uniform Advantage matched this donation for a grand total of $5,390 going to the American Cancer Society!
In addition to the fundraiser, we hosted a Facebook contest for our followers to submit their tips for breast cancer prevention (the participants received our unique UA pink bra t-shirts as a “thank you” for their input). We want to share with you some of the top responses we received:
- Ch-Check It Out: The most popular responses we saw stressed the importance of monthly self exams and yearly mammograms, which are both key to early detection. We all know how hectic the “day-to-day” can get, so find a reminder that works for you. There’s power in numbers…maybe schedule your next doctor’s visit with a girlfriend and treat yourselves to dinner afterwards or host a small pink party with a few of your female family members to ensure that no one forgets!
- All Together Now: You know the drill…eat right, don’t smoke, limit alcohol intake, protect yourself from the sun, and be physically active. There is a correlation between overall health and reduced risk of cancer, and an added bonus is the increased endorphins or “feel good hormones”!
- We Are Family: Learn the history of breast cancer in your family tree, not only will this help you understand your risk factors, but it can also be a great way for you and the other women in your family to strengthen your “support system” by being positive influences on each other.
- Just The Two Of Us: Several of our contributors referenced studies that show breastfeeding can prevent or lower the risk of breast cancer for some women. Good for baby and good for mom, win-win!
To mark the end of our “Pinktober” fundraising, we held PINK day at our corporate office—you can check out the pictures below. You don’t have to wait until next October to do your part for Breast Cancer awareness; the American Cancer Society has events all year round to encourage participation. From team walks to galas and golf, there is sure to be an event where you can have fun while you help raise awareness! How did your workplace celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness month?
The holiday season is right around the corner and before you know it the New Year will be here…so we are here to help you finish off the rest of 2011 in a runway-worthy fashion! Believe it or not, the trends seen on the catwalks at Fashion Week in New York and Milan are in our winter catalogs as well. Scoop up these fashion forward pieces, perfect your strut and you’re good to go!
WC693 Sweetheart Neckline Crochet Trim Top
UA422C Rolled Collar Button Front Top
Pleats and Frills
UA424C Ruffle Mandarin Collar Snap Front Top
EMPC72C Princess Seam Y-Neck Top with Embroidery
U194GWB Scallop Neck Top in Go Wild Black
Anywhere Women’s Zone Clog in Zebra
R1260FEP Rampage Feline Lace Trim Top
Anywhere Women’s Zone Clog in Leopard
Prints: Plaid and Polka
HE232PER Lauren Top in Pencil Plaid Raspberry/Pewter
UA28EBW Mock Wrap Top in Exotic Beauty White and U86PKB Button Front Warm Up Jacket in Polka Pop Black
Calling all nurses, doctors and other medical professionals! Santa is on call one night a year, but you work hard all year long in order to keep us healthy, so we want you to win an end-of-year treat for yourself! Uniform Advantage is holding a contest where the lucky winner gets a new iPad2… for FREE! Come to our website from November 1st, 2011 through November 28th, 2011, and you can enter for a chance to win. Entering is simple! Read on to find out how to enter and how to win the grand prize.
How to Enter
- Go to www.UniformAdvantage.com/Contest and fill in the online entry form.
- Tell us why you deserve to win the iPad2.
How to Win
- Voting lasts from November 29th- December 27th, 2011. During that time, get the word out to all of your friends, family, and co-workers to go to your voting page on our site and cast their vote for you! Note: only one vote will be permitted per person.
The Grand Prize will be a new Black 16GB iPad2, but even if you don’t win the iPad, you can still be a winner! All contestants who reach 1,000 votes or more will win a $50 Uniform Advantage Gift Card!
The Grand Prize Winner will be announced on December 28th, 2011.
For more information about the contest and for complete rules and regulations, please visit www.UniformAdvantage.com/Contest
Happy Halloween–we hope everyone is having a hauntingly fun day like we are! Our team got in the spooky sprit by noshing on a buffet of terror-filled treats and wandering the halls in our creative costumes. We all voted for our favorite, so check out the pictures below and we’ll let you know who was picked…
Drum roll please….the favorite costume this year picked by our staff was Tammy the Corpse Bride (3rd from the left in the top collage). Congrats Tammy! Everyone enjoy the remainder of this haunted holiday and stay safe!