We want to introduce our customers and blog followers to the I Care, I Cure Childhood Cancer Foundation. This organization’s goal is to increase awareness about childhood cancer and to improve the treatment options that children with childhood cancer have available, subsequently bettering their quality of life. Funds go to research grants and developing studies so that researchers can keep improving on existing treatment options with the ultimate goal of finding gentler cures for childhood cancer.
The foundation was founded by Beth and Brad Besner, in memory of their son Ian, who was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia just before his 11th birthday. This year’s walk/race was held on February 12, 2012 at the Bank Atlantic Center in Sunrise, FL, where Uniform Advantage was a Bronze Medal Race Sponsor donating $1,250 to the cause.
Uniform Advantage plans to continue their support of this amazing cause in the Spring of 2013. We will be forming a corporate team to participate in the race and releasing a gold ribbon medical scrubs print top in our Spring catalog, with proceeds going to I Care, I Cure.
To learn more about Ian, his family, and I Care I Cure visit their website at www.icareicure.org.
February is officially over; we hope everyone enjoyed their “extra” day! This also means that National Heart Month is coming to a close. Uniform Advantage was able to raise $824 to support the American Cancer Society’s “Go Red” program for increasing awareness and education about how to prevent the #1 killer in the US.
Read these startling facts about why this cause is so important to support:
- Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the US. That’s 2,200 deaths per day!
- More women die from heart disease than from the next 3 causes of death combined, including all forms of cancer.
- Men and women have different heart attack symptoms. In fact 64% of women who die suddenly of coronary heart disease had no previous symptoms.
Even though February and National Heart Disease Month are over doesn’t mean that you can’t still help out! Check out these easy (and fun!) ways to lend a helping hand the American Heart Association year-round: http://www.goredforwomen.org/getInvolved.aspx.
Did your office or hospital floor participate in “Go Red” day with red scrubs?
Uniform Advantage is “Going Red” today for Women’s Heart Health and officially kicking off our February fundraising efforts for the National Heart Month and the American Heart Association! Here are some facts about the prevalence of heart disease and why you should get involved:
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death among women, regardless of race or ethnicity, accounting for 8.6 million deaths in women each year
- One in THREE women over the age of 20 has a form of cardiovascular disease
- Women are more likely to have strokes than men, in fact THREE million women die from strokes each year
- Under the age of 50, women’s heart attacks are twice as likely to be fatal
- 267,00 women die annually from heart attacks, this is SIX times as many fatalities as breast cancer
Stay tuned for pictures from today’s “Go Red” day at the Uniform Advantage corporate office. There are many ways you can help raise awareness for women’s heart health (including shopping!) so check out the American Heart Association’s ways to help out: http://www.goredforwomen.org/getInvolved.aspx! Is your workplace celebrating American Heart Month this February? Try hosting your own “Wear Red” Day awareness event for your hospital floor or doctor’s office with our huge selection of red scrubs!
As National Breast Cancer Awareness Month comes to a close, so does our Making Strides Fundraiser. We want to thank all of you who participated in our efforts! Not only did we raise money for a cause we can all personally relate to, but we also fostered an even greater feeling of community as we all worked together toward this common goal. Our final amount raised was $2,695 thanks to the generosity of the employees at our retail stores, distribution center, and corporate office, as well as their friends and families. Uniform Advantage matched this donation for a grand total of $5,390 going to the American Cancer Society!
In addition to the fundraiser, we hosted a Facebook contest for our followers to submit their tips for breast cancer prevention (the participants received our unique UA pink bra t-shirts as a “thank you” for their input). We want to share with you some of the top responses we received:
- Ch-Check It Out: The most popular responses we saw stressed the importance of monthly self exams and yearly mammograms, which are both key to early detection. We all know how hectic the “day-to-day” can get, so find a reminder that works for you. There’s power in numbers…maybe schedule your next doctor’s visit with a girlfriend and treat yourselves to dinner afterwards or host a small pink party with a few of your female family members to ensure that no one forgets!
- All Together Now: You know the drill…eat right, don’t smoke, limit alcohol intake, protect yourself from the sun, and be physically active. There is a correlation between overall health and reduced risk of cancer, and an added bonus is the increased endorphins or “feel good hormones”!
- We Are Family: Learn the history of breast cancer in your family tree, not only will this help you understand your risk factors, but it can also be a great way for you and the other women in your family to strengthen your “support system” by being positive influences on each other.
- Just The Two Of Us: Several of our contributors referenced studies that show breastfeeding can prevent or lower the risk of breast cancer for some women. Good for baby and good for mom, win-win!
To mark the end of our “Pinktober” fundraising, we held PINK day at our corporate office—you can check out the pictures below. You don’t have to wait until next October to do your part for Breast Cancer awareness; the American Cancer Society has events all year round to encourage participation. From team walks to galas and golf, there is sure to be an event where you can have fun while you help raise awareness! How did your workplace celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness month?
Happy Pinktober, everyone! As you may already know, we at UA took part in this year’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5K walk yesterday to help support those who have been affected by breast cancer and help promote awareness and prevention. Currently, our team has raised over $2,300 and we will continue to raise money throughout the month of October. At the end of the Month, UA will match all our donations…so we are hoping to reach our goal of at least $5,000!
Many of our friends and Facebook fans were able to attend the event, and some came to see us as we walked (and they scored a free UA pink bra t-shirt!). Thanks for saying hi!
**If you’d like a chance to win one of our great pink bra t-shirts, visit our Facebook fan page or come back to our blog this Wednesday for a Win-It-Wednesday contest!
Here are some pictures we took at the event:
To see more pictures from the walk, visit our fan page at http://www.facebook.com/UAScrubs.
Thank you everyone who came out and for showing your support!
In order to help us reach our goal of $5,000 even faster, please donate on our Team UA page found here: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/MakingStridesAgainstBreastCancer/MSABCFY12Florida?team_id=994693&pg=team&fr_id=35983.
Good morning, Happy Monday and Happy Pinktober!
Saturday, October 1st, marked the first day of Breast Cancer Awareness month, and here at UA we are well into our fundraising and support efforts! This Sunday, October 9, several UA Team Members will be participating in the American Cancer Society’s “Making Strides Against Breast Cancer” walk in Downtown Fort Lauderdale. This is our third year participating in the walk and we hope to see some fellow South Floridians out there! So far we have raised over $1,700 and hope to continue to raise money all month. If you’d like to donate through Team UA for the American Cancer Society, you can do so on our Team Page.
Another way to help show your support throughout the month of October is to wear pink with pride! (I’d like to add that in the spirit of “Pinktober” I am wearing my pink sneakers, pink sweater and pink scarf today to work :)). We have numerous pink scrub tops and scrub pants along with a variety of Pink Ribbon Tops online at UA. Check out this beautiful print from Peaches!
Or show your support with a pink ribbon stethoscope!
Hope you all have a fabulous week!
In less than one month it will be Breast Cancer Awareness Month! So help show your support and “Pick Your Pink” scrubs to wear all month long….or all year! But the Pink doesn’t stop at scrubs–we have Pink Ribbon socks, stethoscopes and bags too. Check out our collection of Breast Cancer Awareness Scrubs for more :).
Looking for another way to show your support? Us too! The past few years we have been taking part in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk in Fort Lauderdale, FL, and this year is no different. Team UA is back again for to raise money and walk for the cure! Check out our Team Page and if you’d like to donate through Team UA, please do and THANKS! Check out our Team Page here: 2011 Making Strides Against Breast Cancer ~ Team UA!