Uniform Advantage (UA) is proud to partner with the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) to help give graduate students an opportunity to further their master’s or doctoral degree in nursing through the Uniform Advantage-GNSA Scholarship Fund. AACN has formed the Graduate Nursing Student Academy (GNSA) to provide free programs, services and resources to nursing students enrolled in master’s and doctoral programs that meet their professional development needs.
UA believes strongly in giving back to their communities and this graduate scholarship will allow students to be the next change agents and healthcare collaborators to impact a dynamic and complex healthcare industry. They will deliver advanced direct patient care, conduct research, be teachers, influence public policy, lead health systems, consult with corporations and implement evidence-based solutions that will transform healthcare. Two scholarships will be awarded in the amount of $2,500 to one winner in the fall and spring semesters. The deadline for the fall semester is September 30th, 2014 and January 31st, 2015 for the spring semester. For more information on entering the scholarship, please click here: http://www.aacn.nche.edu/students/gnsa/ua-scholarship
About The American Association of Colleges of Nursing
The American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) is the national voice for baccalaureate and graduate programs in nursing. Representing more than 750 schools of nursing nationwide, AACN works to establish quality standards for professional nursing programs, influence the nursing profession to improve health care, and promote public support for professional nursing education, research, and practice. AACN is the authoritative source for the latest data and information related to innovations in nursing education, careers in nursing, federal advocacy on behalf of nursing education, diversity initiatives in nursing education, nursing-level quality improvement efforts, and new developments in the field. For more information, visit www.aacn.nche.edu.
The Need for Graduate-Prepared Nurses
- With the passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act in 2010, more than 32 million Americans will gain access to healthcare services, including those provided by RNs and Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs).
- This provides a huge demand for highly skilled providers to fill established and emerging roles that allow nurses to focus on a variety of practice areas, such as adult and family health, geriatrics, pediatrics, public health, administration, informatics, forensics, systems improvement, and genetics/genomics.
- Graduate students will enjoy more opportunities to impact the overall design and implementation of care including higher salaries.
- Healthcare positions in high demand include :
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses
- Clinical Nurse Leaders
- Nurse Managers
- Nurse Administrators
- Nurse Educators
- Health Policy Consultants
- Nurse Researchers
- Specialist Roles like Forensics, Case Management, School Nursing and Genetics/Genomics
- Healthcare Administrator
Please spread the word about our graduate scholarship to someone you may know in need of financial assistance. Deadline for the Fall Semester is September 30th, 2014 and January 31st, 2015 for the Spring Semester.
For more information on entering the scholarship, please click here: http://www.aacn.nche.edu/students/gnsa/ua-scholarship
How has a scholarship helped you to achieve your dreams? We would love to hear your testimonies!
It’s no surprise that being a medical professional can be an incredibly stressful job. However, practicing stress-relieving relaxation techniques can help alleviate that whole “I go to work and hold others’ very livelihood in the palm of my hands” stress thing. Medical professionals can certainly appreciate stress relieving techniques since they know all the negative effects that over-stressing has on the body. Those who regularly practice relaxation and stress relief experience many positive health benefits, such as a slowed heart rate, lowered blood pressure, reduced activity of stress hormones. Here are 10 helpful ways to reduce negative stress in your life:
- Meditate: This classic relaxation technique promotes feelings of well-being and self-awareness. Simply take 10 minutes for yourself upon arriving home from work to lie on your floor, splay your legs and arms out, clear your mind, and simply enjoy the silence and solitude.
- Keep a journal: Remember your diary that you used to keep as a child? Time to start up another one! Journaling is a great emotional release. By writing down your feelings and events of the day, you become more in tune with your emotions and more aware of how you respond to life’s challenges. It’s also a great way to track your progress in building relationships, advancing in your job, or developing a new hobby!
- Attend Yoga Classes: A relaxing yet challenging exercise, yoga and its focus on breathing, body awareness, and mental acuity result in better overall health for mind and body. Those who participate regularly in yoga experience lower blood pressure, a reduced heart rate, lower cholesterol, and improved memory. Plus, yoga will help you with your other physical activities! By stretching your muscles and developing greater core strength, you will enjoy an improved range of motion in your exercise.
- Try Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR): This relaxation technique, which can be done lying down or sitting up, is characterized by a conscious, controlled process of tensing and then relaxing muscle groups of the body. Most people typically start at the hands or feet and work their way up or down the body, concentrating on areas such as abdomen, back muscles, eyes, jaw, chest, shoulders, and thighs.
- Laugh more often: Other than giving you a wicked set of abs, laughter is great for improving your mood and giving you a more positive outlook. Researchers have found that the very act of smiling (even if it is fake or forced) releases dopamine and serotonin in the brain, resulting in feelings of happiness! Watch your favorite comedy tonight!
- Take a Walk: Daily 30 minute walks are a great form of light exercise that boost immunity and cardiovascular health. Switch up your local route for a change in scenery! Regular exercise is shown to improve brain function and muscle strength in the long-run. Whether you prefer to walk alone and enjoy the quiet, or walk with friends and enjoy the laughter, you will surely notice the many health benefits of walking.
- Drink Green Tea: Rich in antioxidants that prevent cell damage, green tea is certainly the healthiest drink (other than water) that you can put into your body. Since it is neither processed nor artificial, green tea has been shown to improve cholesterol, blood flow, and memory. So take a tea break and sip slowly to enjoy the benefits of this amazing drink!
- Prioritize Sleep: Here’s a no brainer – make sure you set aside some time to sleep! Going through the REM cycles allows your body, mind, and immune system to rejuvenate. Those who consistently get less than 7 hours of sleep suffer from poor memory, concentration, and health problems.
- Stay hydrated: Remembering to consistently drink water throughout your day will keep you hydrated, which is essential for job performance, focus, and stamina. Drinking water regularly can also result in muscle mass increase, loss of fat, and shinier skin! The intake of this vital fluid allows your body to recuperate from the many stresses you experience on the job and helps you bounce back with an extra boost!
- Practice Good Posture: Those who are mindful of their posture, whether standing or sitting, experience many health benefits in comparison to those who slouch around! For example, good posture facilitates breathing, which in turn increases the oxygen flow that our brain needs (20%) to function properly. By rolling the shoulders back and down, keeping your chin level with the ground, and standing tall, you will be seen as a confident individual, which will make you feel better about yourself in turn.
What techniques do you find helpful to reduce your stress?
Are you a fan of travel? Do you also enjoy your nursing profession? Well, a career in travel nursing is exactly as it sounds: you travel the country as a nurse! As a travel nurse, you aid healthcare facilities that have employee shortages. For example, if a hospital’s top RN in Chicago had to take maternity leave, you would fill her spot until she returns. Each term with the healthcare facility typically lasts around 13 weeks, according to Nurse Together. To search for a job opportunity in the country, travel nurses typically search online for hospitals that are short-staffed in any city of their choice. Recruiting agencies and travel nursing companies serve as the middle man in this scenario, assisting nurses with getting the job and settling down in their city by providing help with locating a home, providing utilities, and getting cable and internet.
In addition to the agencies helping you out along the way, there are plenty of other benefits to this unique nursing career. Most RNs who choose to be traveling nurses have a flexible living situation; they’re typically young, excited about the prospect of travel, and don’t have many obligations holding them down in their original home. This career is ideal for those who are looking to move to a new city! By trying out different locations across the country, you can truly get a feel for the place before you commit. According to a survey conducted by Onward Healthcare, one of the best parts of this career is the elevated, median $80,000 salary. A truly immersive experience, travel nursing allows RNs to create a broad network of professional contacts who can show them new techniques and methods.
Would you ever consider travel nursing as a career option? Let us know what you think!
The “glass ceiling,” a term used to describe women’s inability to advance in their career and receive equal pay as men solely because of their gender, has plagued working women for decades. Although we are now living in a society where we are seeing more and more professional, career women, a very large inequality gap still exists. In fact, women currently earn 77% of what a man does for the same job with the same qualifications — a relatively small increase from the 64% that women would earn in 1951 according to infoplease.com. To put it simply, a women earns 77 cents for the same job that a man would do for a dollar.
But what about in female-dominated professions, such as teaching and nursing? Do women who work in these professions still experience the salary and career-advancement inequality as other women in different industries do? The answer, alarmingly, is yes. The “glass escalator” describes this phenomenon perfectly: Men who work in female-dominated professions are more likely to advance faster and further in their career, as well as receive higher pay. Many women that work as hard or even harder than men continue to struggle to advance as some men “glide by” on this intangible glass escalator. According to Caren Goldberg, Ph.D., an assistant professor of management who has studied this phenomenon at American University’s Kogod School of Business, “Men that enter female-dominated professions tend to be promoted at faster rates than women in those professions.”
To put some reason behind these staggering facts, many higher-ups and managers feel less inclined to promote women on the basis of career interruptions, such as raising a family. In addition, typical managerial and boss stereotypes typically match the qualities of a stereotypical man, such as assertiveness, which perpetuates this cycle. This societal stereotype that works to the benefit of men continues to place a stigma upon most working women, even those who do not have a spouse or children.
What do you think of the glass escalator? Have you ever experienced job inequality in your workplace?
As you know, being a medical professional is not for the faint of heart. The demanding physical and mental aspects of the job require you to stretch your potential every day. So, your scrubs should match your effort and provide you with the comfort and durability you need. This is why many conscientious shoppers have turned to stretch fabric. Typically made from a comfortable Poly-Rayon-Spandex blended fabric, stretch scrubs are ideal for medical professionals. This lightweight, breathable fabric allows its wearer to move freely and comfortably throughout the day! Stretch fabric doesn’t stop working for you once you get home either: these scrubs require little to no ironing! Here are some great scrubs that satisfy our stretch obsession:
Butter-Soft Stretch Scrubs by UA: Even though we’re not one to play favorites, we’ll make an exception in this case. We took our popular, silky smooth Butter-Soft scrubs and made them even better! The irresistibly comfortable Butter-Soft Stretch scrubs have just the right amount of spandex for flexibility. Ranging from basic looks to stylish cuts, Butter-Soft Stretch is perfect for any busy medical professional!
Butter-Soft Stretch Empire Waist Top; Style # BSS505
Cherokee Premium Core Stretch Scrubs: This comfortable line of scrubs from Cherokee, made from a quality Poly/Cotton and spandex blend, is sure to provide lasting comfort and stretch. These durable scrubs are sure to stand the test of time and hold up to any demanding challenges that your profession may present. This high quality line of scrubs comes in many brilliant colors to suit your personality!
Cherokee Workwear Scrubs Premium Core STRETCH Mock Wrap Top; Style # CK4728
Grey’s Anatomy Signature STRETCH Scrubs: Get the best of both worlds with these comfortable line of scrubs from the popular and consistently stylish Grey’s Anatomy collection by Barco! The ultimate choice for fashionable fabric, Grey’s Anatomy Signature Stretch scrubs feature a new look that is as luxurious as it is durable. These stylish cuts are sure to flatter your body type while providing the breathability and comfort with its stretchy fabric.
Grey’s Anatomy Scrubs Signature STRETCH Junior Fit Two Pocket Top; Style # GA2121
Cherokee Flexibles Scrubs: This great line of scrubs is offered in an array of bold colors, stylish prints, and flattering cuts. Offering a snug, yet comfortable fit, Cherokee Flexibles are made with knit side panels that contour the waist. The quality and affordable pricing of these scrubs makes them a must-have for stretch fabric lovers!
Cherokee Flexibles Scrubs V-Neck Top; Style # CK2874
If you’re a stretch fabric lover like us, what’s your favorite stretch brand?
You’ve heard the classic, “First impressions are lasting impressions,” saying before. As much as this statement might inspire a “well duh!” reaction from some people, many often forget how much this rings true – especially in a medical office. Typically, most people go off of another’s appearance for their first impression before they have even had a chance to open their mouth. When your patients’ lives quite literally lie in your hands, it is crucial to exude confidence, competence, and professionalism to them so they will readily trust you. Start off your interactions on the right foot with our tips on how to create a professional, clean-cut look.
- Make sure that your undergarments are not showing through your scrubs. Even if you have the body of a Victoria’s Secret Angel or Fabio himself, nobody wants to see what your situation is underneath your scrubs. In an environment where cleanliness and a well-polished look is valued, be sure to: 1) Buy scrubs that flatter your body (not too tight or not to baggy!). 2) Wear light colored underwear (shades of nude) when you are sporting lighter-colored scrubs. 3) Ensure that your pants fit properly so the infamous “whale tail” won’t pop out of the top of your pants. Pick out the best, most flattering scrubs for your body type with the help of our “How to Dress for Your Body Type” infographic!
- Iron your scrubs or hang them up after washing/drying them. Unless you want to go for the hobo-chic look, it’s best if you make sure that your scrubs don’t have sloppy creases and folds after you’re done washing them. Even if your scrubs fit well and are very clean, the wrinkly look definitely does not create a good impression. Show your scrubs some love and hang them up! Or if you really love your scrubs, treat them right with a session on the ironing board.
- Don’t stain your reputation! Life as a medical practitioner is not exactly on the clean side…Who knows what bodily fluids/parts could wind up on your trendy scrubs on any given work day? Unfortunately, stains are not like battle scars, and will not give you a reputation as a hardcore veteran in the work place. To put it nicely, it will just gross everyone out. So make sure to treat your scrubs the second you get home! There are cleaners out there that will rid you of the most horrific stains. Check out our stain removal infographic to show you how to get out pesky, commonplace stains with simple steps!
- Keep your nails nice and trimmed! Your patients are already getting poked and prodded with needles…enough is enough! Keep a pair of clippers on deck to maintain a short, well-manicured nail length. Your patients and your un-broken nails will thank you!
- Tuck back your luscious locks. You may have the hair of the models featured on Pantene Pro-V commercials, but as a medical professional, it’s best if you keep your hair out of your face and out of the faces of your patients – as well as other questionable things your hair may wind up in.
What are some things you find important when dressing up for the job? We’d love to hear your experiences about what you have seen at your workplace!
Summer is officially here! Now that the polar vortex is long gone, get ready to lather up some sunscreen and get outside! With significantly longer days during the summer months, soak up the sun and take full advantage of your days off! Whether you choose to go on a walk around the local park or have a beach-day getaway, the possibilities for summer fun are endless. Here are some tips from the Uniform Advantage Family on how they plan on spending their summer vacation.
Take a beach vacation: For some, fortunately a beach is just a reasonable drive away! Grab your friends or family, and bring some delicious snacks and set up your umbrellas at a nearby beach. Whether you choose to get some R&R and read a book or take a walk on the wild side with a banana boat tour, your quick summer escape will leave you feeling light-hearted and at ease.
Treat yourself to a vacation! “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine. Medical professionals, we know that you work extremely hard. Reward yourself for your dedication to your job with a vacation or stay-cation! Visit your favorite vacation destination or step outside of your comfort zone and experience new places with delicious cuisine, landmarks, and fun activities. Expanding your horizons and world-view is only a plane ticket or road trip away.
Run a 5k! Although running for fun is a foreign concept to most people, doing a 5k is a great way to get outdoors and enjoy summer’s beautiful days while setting a goal that will improve your health. Enroll in a 5k run with a friend to make training and the big day packed with fun! Many of these runs support nonprofit organizations and help fundraise to raise awareness so you are doing yourself and others a service by being active.
Revamp your wardrobe! Updating your wardrobe gives you a cleansing, “new you” feeling that is perfect for the start of summer. Complement nature’s vibrant summer shades with a bright wardrobe of your own. Stay cool and look stylish with a simple, floral-patterned sundress. Or mix it up with a bold color-blocked wardrobe featuring bright shades, such as yellow and navy. Keep your eyes protected with a trendy pair of sunglasses. Popular sunglass styles this summer include cat-eye, mirrored, round, and retro looks! Tie your look together with a statement bag that tells everyone that you’re ready to hit the runway! To add some color into your professional wear, check out Uniform Advantage’s Hot Summer Sale! From prints boasting a wide array of colors to solid tops showcasing summer’s hottest colors, our selection is sure to wow you! So show off your true colors this summer and bring fashionable trends to your workplace!
As always, thanks for shopping at UA! We hope this first weekend of summer is a memorable one for you.
What are your favorite summer colors for scrub tops? Leave a comment below!