Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
Over the past 30 years, there has been a nearly 29% increase in diagnosis of pediatric cancer. This increase has resulted in pediatric cancer becoming the leading cause of death by disease among U.S. children. As the list of potential carcinogens continues to grow, we can only anticipate the rate of pediatric cancers to increase as well. While cures are out there, one of the best ways to help prevent childhood cancer is to take preventative steps. Here are a few steps you can take to help prevent cancer in children:
- Avoid pesticides. Instead use non-toxic remedies around the house. Also, removing shoes before you enter your home will help keep chemicals that end up on your shoes stay out.
- Use non-toxic products. Read labels and look for more natural materials!
- Clean up indoor air with non-toxic products. Try using plants to filter your air or window ventilation.
- Try to eat more organic and healthier.
- Avoid products made with plastic that contain harmful chemicals like BPA. Use reusable glass or stainless steel instead.
Given this month is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, we wanted fill you in on a couple ways you can help spread the word and give to the cause of fighting childhood cancer.
1. You can donate to Mira’s Movement, whose missions is to “increase public awareness of the incidence and impact of childhood cancer, to provide resources and support for families facing a pediatric cancer diagnosis, and to broaden support for increased federal funding of pediatric cancer and brain tumor research.”
2. This month, Hyundai is giving $200 from the sale of each vehicle in September to 68 hospitals and non-profit organizations in the form of “Hope Grants”. Through Hyundai Hope on Wheels, Hyundai plans to donate $100,000 to each hospital and non-profit…totaling $6.8 million! You can also donate directly through Hyundai Hope on Wheels.